Sunday 15 September 2013

Nearly very old.....

It's my birthday on Thursday.  I'm scared.  On Thursday, everything will go south, and I'll probably need to pop down to the chemist to stock up on Tena Lady.  Oh well, onwards & upwards....at least I still have my hair.

Anyways.....what's been happening?

Last weekend, a couple of us had a pre-birthday night out, beginning with Joes in Chalk Farm.  I really do like this place.  It's a bit rough around the edges, they're not great at opening on time and you have a few randoms in there, but the music is good and the cocktails even better.  Happy Hour is every day from 5 til 7 cocktail fans....go and fill your boots.  To Soho next, for dinner at Pollo.  I do wish they had never "refurbished" the place and got rid of the lovely plastic booth seats that had been there since way back when, but needs must I guess and nothing lasts forever, especially with Soho rents.  Pollo is a favourite with a lot of people.  Don't expect cordon bleu but do expect huge portions at low prices & wine in plastic cups.  Cath's tip of the day:  Don't order garlic bread as a starter unless you're not intending to eat anything else - it's the size of a large pizza, and more.  The night ended in Trishas.  The place was empty when we arrived which meant we got to have a nice chat with Trisha herself - a lady full of stories.  A black & white 60s photo of her is on the wall & very lovely it is too.  A typical night was had at Trishas really & tonight's characters included a pretty gay hungarian boy (whose "friend" proceeded to have a domestic with him as he was ignored for us, 3 ladies of a certain age, old enough to be his mother, and straight!), a man from the Cotswolds, wearing a mankini & on his stag night, and Paul who had been to our club the month previous.  You never know who you're going to see in Trishas but if you're annoying and likely to offend me in any way whatsoever, please don't try and find it eh?

Wednesday saw a night out at Proud Gallery in Camden, for the "For You I Was a Flame" exhibition. A preview of previously unseen photos of Amy Winehouse, celebrating what would have been her 30th birthday this week.  Particularly worth a mention were a set by Dean Chalkley, who a lot of you know.  Beautiful photos.  Her family & friends should be very proud.  Great dj set by Carl Barat (ex of The Libertines).  Dear Carl Barat - if you happen to read this, please come and dj at our club.  Thanks.  This blog wouldn't be me unless I mentioned we went for cocktails before the Amy preview.....Fifty Five Bar in Camden, we love you & your 2 for 1 before 8pm offer.  Espresso Martinis, Lemon Meringue Martinis, and Apple & Blackberry Mojitos.  That'll do nicely thanks.

T'was a rainy old Saturday in London but off we went to the MODern History SE1 day down in Lower Marsh Waterloo.  Lunch first in Maries where I was disgusted to see a cuppa had gone up to 70p or the like - shocking inflation!  (She says sarcastically).  Lovely Maries, where you can get a 3 course meal of "proper grub" or thai food should you so wish, for less than a tenner.  Scoot The Thames preceded the day down in SE1 and despite the weather, I guess around 60 scooters turned up there.  Gone are my days of taking photos of scooters.  I miss my Lambretta.  I miss my Vespa.  Please buy me one someone - one I will ride just around Crouch End and no further as London traffic would terrify the life out of me.  Had a nice time catching up with folk, particularly the lovely "What the Butler Wore" ladies in their fab new premises.  Sad that the old-fashioned food stalls didn't happen, nor the 60s shop fronts, but I enjoyed the djs, wearing my previously unworn brown shoes (!!!!) and listening to some good tunes.  Hopefully next year will be sunnier which will make a world of difference.

With that, I'm off to start the countdown to old age....see you on the other side x



No comments:

Post a Comment