Sunday 23 October 2011

Way out West

Good morning Frock fans!

Tis another sunny day in N8.  I'm happy to report that Crouch End looks as pretty in Autumn as it does in Summer.  There's a squirrel outside on the lawn, foraging for snacks....I fear he may be out of luck in this area...unless he likes tofu or some other expensive organic matter!

Things have been pretty quiet in my world as I've been concentrating on getting better after the doctor FINALLY confirmed I had sciatica.  I think I'm getting there at last, with the help of Naproxen and Solpadol on occasions.  Hopefully the physio which I'll start in November will kill it completely.  I don't like taking the painkillers as they kill your brain cells off I'm sure.

Anyways.....last weekend I ventured out West.  I work in W2 at the moment so very close to Notting Hill and Westbourne Grove but during the week there's just no time to look round.  We walked from Notting Hill, down Portobello Road and into Golborne Road. 

I hadn't been to Portobello Road since I lived in London during the 90s.  Strangely enough, my last memory of that area is running into my eye-liner wearing friend Adam (who would have joined These Animal Men in the blink of an eye if he'd had been asked).  He laughed about how his Mother had got a new lodger in and he hoped he liked britpop as he'd be subjected to it on a daily basis.  Sadly, 3 days later, Adam died in his sleep so he never got his chance at britpop stardom.  RIP sir.

Portobello was as crowded as ever and full of Italian tourists who insist on wearing over-sized rucksacks 24 hours a day.  We managed to make it to the veggie takeaway bakery in one piece and I will be returning!  If I'd have thought that pasties would have made it home to North London in one piece, I'd have stuffed one of those Italian's rucksacks full of them....unfortunately, if truth be known, I would have eaten them all before reaching Kings Cross.  The Ladbroke Grove end of Portobello was much more like I remembered it & I enjoyed looking round the vintage stalls.  I noticed how much real fur there was and was quite shocked.  Although I don't mind it, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it and I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.  Perhaps, having said that, it isn't and that's why there is so much on sale.  We had lunch (& a cheeky glass of Rose') in The Elgin....which was a welcome break from the crowds.  Nice food, great decor & men in Curiosity Killed the Cat caps....just my cup of tea.

We finished up in Golborne Road.  I much prefer that end of Portobello - jumble stalls & space to breathe walking up there.  Very much a portugese area, there are lovely little shops, people eating authentic portugese food from stalls in the street, and a really relaxed community feel.  As there was no space to sit in the obviously very popular Lisboa cafe', we ventured to a similar one over the road, drank proper strong coffee (!!!) and ate portugese cake.....2 drinks & 2 large slabs of cake for a fiver.  Golborne Road is right next to the infamous Trellick Tower.  I imagine the flats in there sell for a fortune now and being a nosey type, I would love to have a look.  If anyone reading this lives there, please invite me round for tea.

My last official 6 days at work are coming up and then I'm on my own.  Wish me luck Frockers!

No comments:

Post a Comment