Sunday 4 March 2012

Spring has sprung....

although you'd hardly think so today. I've just come back from Kings Cross, in a soggy snorkel jacket (yes I am a 1970s schoolboy).  You know it's serious weather when the snorkel jacket comes out - a snorkel jacket with the world's biggest hood and which prevents you from seeing or hearing anything. 

It's been a busy old week but a fun week.  Mondays' film was the 1963 "The World Ten Times Over", starring Sylvia Syms as a "hostess" or posh prostitute if you'd rather.  A great film with a 60s Soho backdrop and some great clothes.  I'm easily pleased. 

Thursday was another "free things to do in London" event...i.e a discount night at Uniqlo on Oxford Street.  I wasn't expecting great things from the clothing range (I was right - pretty much the blandest items in Central London) but was expecting great things from the freebies!  The clothes might be ugly but Uniqlo know how to hold a great party.  We snacked on mini pesto/brie bread rolls and red velvet cupcakes, and drank vodka & chambord cocktails out of china cups, served from teapots.  Gizzi Erskine (tv chef/vintage fan) djayed and actually played some great 50s/early 60s stuff.  Dear Uniqlo, I'm sorry I didn't buy a single thing but thanks for the snackettes.  Love Cath x

Out again on Friday, to see a lovely little play called "Northern Soul" at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in Highgate.  "Northern Soul" is performed (and about) a Brighton-based comedienne called Victoria Melody who wanted to investigate the attraction of pigeon fancying in the North of England.  She went to live with some pigeon fanciers and, at the same time, learnt to dance to Northern Soul.  The play, as well as being about those things, is about her "trying to fit in" and quite often failing.  I loved the play - it was clever, funny & sweet, with great music and a finale of Ms. Melody doing a full on Northern Soul dancing session to "Turning my Heartbeat Up", complete with spins & backflips.  Well done you!

And finally for this week, and on the wettest/coldest day in a long time, I did a stall at the Wills Moody Jumble Sale again.  Although the weather was horrendous with a capital H, I still managed to sell most of my bag of vintage tat and came home with £37 which is better than nowt I'd say.  I even managed to NOT buy a single thing.  However, next time....I might.

Oh and before I sign off.....I got the King of Soho gig...so next time you read this little blog thing, I'll no doubt be ranting about some 60 year old womans' outfit that I was forced to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment